David and I did our 4H today in his office. We were working through his issues on the jEdit sensor. Following a trail from the jEdit Activity Log, we determined that his plugin was not getting loaded by jEdit. After unjaring some other plugins, we determined that the path to the plugin class was being inferred by the names of properties in the required plugin properties file in the jar (shame jEdit!). This was not obvious because the example plugin uses the default package so it was not clear that the property names had to include the whole package path to the plugin class.
After changing the properties file, jEdit was able to load the plugin so at least that hurdle has been resolved. Sounds like jEdit needs better documentation on writing a decent plugin (what’s up with using the default package, that’s amateur Java programming).