Now that (a snapshot of) my literature review is finished, I completed the last component of my research portfolio: the statement of purpose. There are a few things I need to tweak in the portfolio, but it should be ready to submit to the faculty in the near future. That’s one more thing I can check off my Ph.D. todo list.
When collecting screenshots for my literature review, I was struck again by the problems that face systems that use lists of green actions as their primary method of user interaction. So, I wrote up a discussion of the problems of green action lists, and how PET can improve on that type of system. Eventually it will be a part of the vision document, but for now it’s just an HTML draft.
Planned items from last week:
- Review TED installation guide for feasibility
- DONE, looks like it might be possible without an electrician, but definitely will require turning off power to the circuit breaker panel (which means interaction with building management)
- Write personal statement for research portfolio
- DONE, draft available here
- Create alternate version of 09-05 that meets research portfolio requirements
- DONE, available here
- Write up problems with systems that use green action lists
- Start vision document for proposal
- Not done, though green action list writeup has some kernels for it
Other accomplishments this week:
- Asked Henri whether single space is acceptable for lit review
- Answer: nope, must be double space
- Flattened tech report 09-05 to remove symlinks to proposal
- Emailed Dave about the grant proposal, setting up meeting
Hours worked: 10 (target: 15 hr), working on ICS 621 assignment
Plans for coming week:
- Write outline of vision document
- Make list of secret sauce ideas, and how they fit into existing research
- Start detailed scenario for vision document
- Finishing touches on research portfolio
- Grant meeting?
- Submit research portfolio to faculty?
Pointers to work products:
- All embedded above
- iPhoto 09’s face detection and recognition totally rocks.