The big progress from last week is the submetering meeting, which went very well. Mahalo to Dave, Jeremy, and Philip for attending. It appears we’re all on the same page, so now it’s just a matter of figuring out the sequence of treatments for the different rounds of the competition. I’ll be working on a written proposal for why I think a community website should be one of the early treatments. However, this week is spring break, and I have an algorithms assignment due soon so my dissertation progress this week will be limited.
Planned items from last week:
- Revise presentation on submetering research
- Hold meeting on submetering research ideas
- Start writing proposal around submetering research
- not done
- Review reading list, looking for items relevant to new research focus
- done, got a list of papers around electricity conservation
- Finish meter download script
- Download historical meter data
- done, now have all the meter data on disk (except for the meters that don’t yet have a full month of data)
Other accomplishments this week:
- Played around with the demo of Balsalmiq Mockups. Looks pretty nice, but $79 is steep for students.
Hours worked: 25 (target: 30 hr)
Plans for coming week:
- Send Dave references I discussed at the submetering meeting
- Start justification document
- Read a paper from revised reading list
Pointers to work products:
- Submetering presentation sent via email
- This blog post by Clay Shirky is a great description of the situation newspapers are facing. The goal should be “save reporting” not save the newspapers.