Monthly Archives: May 2009

End of spring semester

This is my final blog post for this semester. Made some good progress: literature review completed, research portfolio approved, clearer focus on electricity conservation, a sketch of an experimental design for Saunders Hall, and interesting possible directions with REIS. I’m planning to develop my proposal during the summer and hopefully defend before the fall semester begins.

I started work on creating a graph of renewable energy production in Hawaii based on the figures from DBEDT. The idea is to produce a chart that can be updated monthly showing how the state (and Oahu) are doing compared to the renewable energy portfolio standards, and more recent renewable production targets. Unfortunately, there isn’t a single spreadsheet cell that captures renewable energy: there is one for wind and hydro, but that doesn’t account for solar or geothermal energy. It looks like energy purchased by the utility from other providers (like the geothermal on the Big Island) is lumped together. I was hoping it would be trivial to produce such a chart, but it looks like it will require some additional work.

Planned items from last week:

  • Get Plone set up for REIS website
    • done
  • Finish revisions on 09-12
    • done
  • Send 09-12 to Dave Nixon
    • done
  • Make graph of Hawaii state energy usage
    • made some progress

Other accomplishments this week:

Hours worked: 30 (target: 30 hr)

Pointers to work products:

Cool links:

  • Stack Overflow, an interesting site for programmers to ask questions to other programmers. Has wiki, forum, and social news (voting) aspects.
Advertisements

REIS grant heating up

I finished my draft intervention comparison tech report for Saunders Hall, and got feedback from Philip. I’ve made most of the changes, except the most important change, which is to fill out the recommendation section with more details. I’ll finish that this week, and send it off to Dave Nixon.

The REIS grant is now heating up, so I’m working on getting a website set up for REIS. URL coming soon to a blog post near you.

My algorithms class is drawing to a close. The final presentation is today, and I have 2 weeks to finish my final report. Then the glorious summer begins.

Planned items from last week:

  • Finish draft of intervention comparison tech report
    • done
  • Revise draft based on Philip’s comments
    • partly done, need to fill out experimental design section
  • Send 09-12 to Dave Nixon
    • not done
  • Make graph of Hawaii state energy usage
    • not done

Other accomplishments this week:

  • Obtained domain name for REIS grant website
  • Set up virtualized Apache server on dasha for REIS website
  • Learned how to use beamer to create a presentation in LaTeX

Hours worked: 15 (target: 30 hr)

Plans for coming week:

  • Get Plone set up for REIS website
  • Finish revisions on 09-12
  • Send 09-12 to Dave Nixon
  • Make graph of Hawaii state energy usage

Pointers to work products:

Cool links:

  • Tarsnap, a paranoid remote backup system